DESIGN YOUR FUTURE - CEREDIGION COLLEGE (CSG/UWTSD)
Coleg Ceredigion, in collaboration with the Ministry of Building Innovation and Education worked with the construction sector (initially in Ceredigion) on a feasibility study to identify a skills gap, and analysis and develop new methods of working to satisfy the growing demands within the construction sector.
The project aimed to understand the existing skills gaps within construction companies working in Ceredigion, formulate a new curriculum for the construction sector by working with Ministry of Building Innovation and Education and Pearsons, stimulate new ways of thinking with the aim to transform house building into a precision-engineered and efficient process and develop work experience and post course employment for students who have completed the new range of qualifications.
The project activities included:
- Identifying a skills gap analysis and exploring new ways of building homes
- Employing a consultant to develop a questionnaire in conjunction with the college
- Working in consultation and partnership with the Foundation to develop Level 3 courses to complement their current suite of HE provision
- A construction conference which collated and shared sector requirements to inform the industry of what businesses need and how it can be delivered
- Creating a bilingual final report to ensure that the data was shared accordingly with the document being used to develop a Level 3 MOBIE course.
The pinnacle of the completion of the Design Your Future report was a conference where the findings was shared. It also provided an opportunity for different stakeholders within the construction sector to network and provide feedback on how to move forward.
Discussions are under way for the next steps, including setting up a network involving key Stakeholders across Ceredigion. This is to address the skills and recruitment shortage within the construction industry. There is also a need to ensure training offered is in line with wider trends and priorities for the sector.
The final report produced has given a valuable insight into the construction industry in Ceredigion, please click here to view the final report.
This project has received funding through the Welsh Government Rural Communities – Rural Development Programme 2014-2020, which is funded by the European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development and the Welsh Government.